THINGS TO DO IN LLANBERISPublished on 18 Oct 2016 by Gwion Llwyd
Known as Snowdon’s village, Llanberis is situated at the foot of Snowdon. Sitting on the twin lakes of Llyn Padarn and Llyn Peris, the surrounding scenery is rugged and beautiful. Adventure activities are available near-by and the town has lovely cafes and restaurants.
NATIONAL SLATE MUSEUM
A look back in history to the workings of the second largest slate quarry in the world. Guided tours show you how the quarry worked and what it would have been like to live and work in this Victorian slate quarry.
Is a hydroelectric power plant built inside a mountain. Opened in 1984 by Prince Charles, it is now a critical contributor to the energy supply for the UK. Take a tour and learn the history, how it came about and how it works – fascinating!
Offer great adventures days incorporating canoeing, kayaking, climbing and coasteering. You can pick from either one of their tailor-made days to a one-off activity – all ages groups and abilities are catered for. HIGH ROPES
Ropes and Ladders offers a high ropes course in the Padarn Country Park. There are 2 levels – from 8 upwards you have the all jumping, balancing and swing course that will test your nerves and for these under 8, there is a course 1.5m off the ground that your younger ones can enjoy under the watchful eye of their parents,
LLANBERIS LAKE RAILWAY
A five mile trip around the lake taking you past 13th-century Dolbadarn and wonderful views of Snowdon.
SNOWDON STAR LAKE CRUISES
The Snowdon Star lake cruises take out boat trips on Padarn Lake offering panoramic views of Snowdonia. Take advantage of a perfect photo opportunity and listen to the history of the surrounding area.
Based at the foot of Snowdon, IBEX mountain guides offers a complete service for both novice and advanced walkers / climbers. If you are looking for support in guided walks and climbing in the area, these would be the people to go to.
The nearest beach is 8 miles away – 5 miles long, it is a great beach with lots of facilities including toilets, cafe and shops nearby.
ZIP WORLD has offers 10 incredible activities in North Wales…
- Blaenau Ffestiniog is where you will find Bounce Below (an underground trampoline experience), Zip World Caverns (an incredible, underground exploring activity) and Titan (first 4 people zip line).
- Conwy Valley is home to Zip Safari (a series of 23 zip lines through the trees), Plummet (jump from a 100ft tower), Skyride (Europe’s highest 5 seater swing), Treetop Nets (nets suspended in trees 60ft above the ground to run around in), Fforest Coaster (an alpine coaster that runs throug the forest at exhilarating speeds) and Tree Hoppers (a woodland experience for younger ones).
- Bangor is where you will find Velocity (the fastest zipline in the world and the longest in Europe).
SURF SNOWDONIA is an artificial surf lagoon where they create continuous and perfect waves. Perfect for beginners and those who are looking to improve. No waiting around for the next set of waves. At the centre, there is also a total wipeout waterwall, the ‘blob’ which will see you flying in the air, a soft play centre, a skate ramp and a couple of onsite restaurants/cafes
THE NATIONAL WHITE WATER CENTRE on the river Tryweryn in Bala offers one of the best places in the country to white water raft. The water levels are dam-controlled meaning its rapids still thunder down the river during the summer months so you will never be disappointed by the conditions.
The walks in the surrounding area are both incredible and numerous and whilst in the area, you absolutely should take advantage of this. For some ideas of where to walk, you might be interested in these websites:
Mud and Routes is a great information resource for walking in the area. Simply enter where you would like to walk and it will give you some tried and tested routes.
Geocaching is popular in this neck of the woods and if you love a treasure hunt, then this is a great way to while away an afternoon.
If your interested in tackling Snowdon itself while you are here, then here is a simple guide on how to do it: Our very own ‘Really Simple Walking Guide Up Snowdon’
BEDDGELERT AND GWYDYR FORESTS – these parks and woodlands all have a host of walks and cycle paths available to you. They vary from 9km to 21km from Llanberis.
based just north of Dolgellau, this forest (Coed) offers mountain biking heaven. Ranging from routes for beginners to the more advanced it is fantastic. Free to get in, you can either rent a bike there or take your own. If not all the party are up for cycling, there are also wonderful walks. Take a picnic as there are lots of picnic tables or there is also a cafe that serves food.
There are 4 trails, its costs £27.50 for the day as it is an uplift service and more suited to advanced riders. You will need to pre-book a space and you can hire bikes there. Again there is a cafe and other activities on offer.
BIKE HIRE – Birmingham garage based towards the harbour rents bikes out throughout the summer.
This recent post we did on mountain biking will give you more information: SNOWDONIA STYLE ADVENTURE | MOUNTAIN BIKING
THE HEIGHTS BAR AND KITCHEN based in the centre of Llanberis offers a bistro menu in a modern environment.
THE PEAK RESTAUARANT is known for its great and varied menu of traditional food. Head Chef Angela was formerly the head chef at the Groucho Club in London.
THE GALLT Y GLYN offers hand thrown pizza’s in a cosy and relaxed atmosphere – they also offer a free pint with a main meal.
THE LAKE VIEW HOTELoffers incredible views alongside.
LLYGAD YR HAUL offers a good traditional menu – soups, sandwiches, pies and curries.
PENCEUNANT ISAF Tea Rooms is a real gem in the mountains. Offering lovely hot chocolate and cups of tea and cake, it’s the perfect place to recuperate from your climb up the mountain!
If you are looking for great cakes and barista style coffee, PANTRI is for you.
PETE’S EATS is an iconic part of the Llanberis Cafe scene; since 1978, it has been a haven for walkers and climbers all sharing their routes and finds on the mountains – the best chip butty is to be had here.
The Llanberis Chinese Takeaway is the local Chinese offering while the SPICE OF LLANBERIS is the Indian representative.
FISH AND CHIPS
PETE’S EATS has taken over from the old Fish and Chip shop.
It’s got to be GEORGIO’S ICE CREAMhomemade, fresh, real dairy Ice cream in delicious flavours.
- Llanberis Surgery, High Street, Llanberis, LL55 4SU TEL: 01286 870634
- Bangor Hospital (Ysbyty Gwynedd) , Bangor; TEL: 01248 384384
Many places locally only accept cash and so make sure you have enough on hand.
- OREIL ERYRI – @ ELECTRIC MOUNTAIN
- GEORGIO’S ICE CREAM
- NATWEST, HSBC and BARCLAYS Banks are all available in Caernarfon
- LONDIS – High Street, Llanberis
- TESCO’s and MORRISON’s are in Caernarfon
- ASDA and Tesco will deliver to you, but you need to ensure the delivery comes after your arrival.
- There isn’t a train directly to Llanberis, but you can go by train along the North Wales Coast line using Transport For Wales, and Virgin Northwest to Bangor. From Bangor, you have access to the
- By Coach, National Express services run to Bangor and Caernarfon from London and Manchester. Arriva operate the service from South Wales to Caernarfon as part of the TrawsCambria network.
The Snowdon Sherpa is a bus that takes you around the 6 main start points for climbing Snowdon; Llanberis being one of them:
- local taxi firms include:
- TACSI CK CABS – 07814 305510
- TAXI REFAIL – 01286 870989
If there’s anything I’ve missed or you have any comments please stick them in the comments box below. We’d love to hear from you.
And of course, if you’re looking for some holiday cottages in the area please visit